Jacksonville State wins 2010 OVC Softball Tournament
Here are some more headlines from around the league in this weekend's Around the Ohio Valley:
- Austin Peay Women's Tennis lost 4-0 to 13th Ranked Georgia Tech in the NCAA regional, in the Gov's first ever NCAA Championship appearance.
- Eastern Illinois senior Erin O’Grady turned in the best performance of her career setting the school record in the steeplechase with a time of 10:44.45 at the Louisville Cardinal Twilight for the Panters' last meet of the season.
- In the program’s first ever appearance in the NCAA men’s tennis championships, Eastern Kentucky fell to nationally-ranked Louisville Saturday afternoon, 4-0. The OVC champion Colonels had their 11-match winning streak snapped and conclude the year 18-9 overall.
- The Jacksonville State softball will face Georigia Tech in the first round of the NCAA Regional, after beating No. 1 ranked UT Martin in 5 innings in the OVC championship game; With an 11-3 win over Eastern Kentucky Sunday, the baseball team secured a spot in the 2010 OVC baseball tournament.
- Morehead State's Drew Lee broke the career record for doubles and homered, but it wasn't enough as Morehead State dropped game one of Saturday's doubleheader at Murray State 7-5.
- Murray State's Bryan Propst delivered a two-run home run to left field to cap off a four-run seventh inning as the Breds rallied for a 7-5 victory over Morehead State in the first game of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon at Reagan Field. Wes Cunningham had an RBI triple down the right-field line, his sixth of the season tying the single-season record Noonan led the offense with three hits, while Cunningham, Moore, Hodskins and Tiernan each collected two hits each.
- With its win over Austin Peay Sunday, the Southeast Missouri baseball team punched its ticket to the 2010 Ohio Valley Conference Tournament. This year marks the 16th-straight where the Redhawks have made the OVC Tournament. Jim Klocke tied the school's all-time career RBI record and Kenton Parmley broke the school's single-season record in runs scored in a 10-3 win.
- Tennesee Tech's baseball loss to UT Martin breaks the Golden Eagles 11-game win streak in the Ohio Valley Conference and prevented the fourth straight series sweep for the Golden Eagles, who's domination over EIU, Morehead State and APSU fueled them to second place in the OVC.
- UT Martin's softball team's winningest season in history came to a close much earlier than anticipated when the Skyhawks failed to hear their name called during the NCAA Tournament Selection Show Sunday night. UT Martin finishes the year with a record of 47-11, which is more wins than 60 of the 64 teams in the field. The Skyhawks were upset in the finals of the OVC tournament, losing the championship game 10-1.